More About Matt
- Total 2008 Equipped 2665lbs All Time World Record
- Squat 2011 Equipped 1197.6lbs All Time World Record Squat
- Top 5 in the World 2005-2011
- 2014 Squat All Time World Record 832lbs Squat
- 2016 Squat All Time World Record 865lbs Squat
- 611lbs Bench Press in Full Meet
- 2204 Total 2nd of All Time Total at 308lbs Weight Class -Top 3 of all time Subtotals in History
- Masters degrees in Biomechanics 2005
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science 2003
- 2006-2009 Advisor U.S. Army Rangers
- 2010-2013 Head of Strength and Conditioning 4th Infantry Fort Carson Colorado
- 2014-2016 Head of Strength and Conditioning 82nd Airborne
- 2007-Present Strength and Conditioning Coach for Dublin, Grove City, Whitehall, and Pickerington Fire Departments
Matt Wenning is a 3 time world champion powerlifter. He has directed over 6000 troops in strength, conditioning, and wellness for the U.S. Army including Infantry and Ranger Divisions. He holds a Masters Degree in Biomechanics and a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science from Ball State University.
Matt grew up in Indiana, raised by a hard working, middle class family. His mother was a nurse, and his father was a Marine and truck driver. When he was six years old, Matt was hit by a car going 50 mph, which took a toll on his physical development. After undergoing 12 months of full leg casts and 12 months in a boot, his legs were underdeveloped.
Four years later, Matt discovered lifting. It allowed him to see he was capable of anything, despite what he had gone through during recovery from his injuries. Then, when Matt was 13, his father passed away due to cancer; a result of complications from agent orange. That’s when he started lifting in competitions.
In the beginning, lifting was just a stepping stone to the goal of football. But it became a much larger pathway in his life. Lifting inspired Matt to attain higher education and become a strength coach. He excelled with a 3.9 GPA.
He has been an adviser for the NFL, an international speaker for the NSCA, as well as a contractor for border patrol, airborne divisions, and the pentagon.